What Coilover Brackets Do I Need?

This is the most common question I get about how to pick which bracket kit you need. It is pretty easy to figure out based on what you are wanting between lowered, stock height, or lifted, so lets walk through it.

Will your brackets work on a 2500 or 2500HD?

The short answer is no. My brackets are intended for the 1500 trucks. My upper brackets can be used on the 2500s, however they will need to be welded instead of bolted due to the frame differences between the 1500 and 2500 frames. The Lower brackets are not compatible.

Upper Reinforcement Brackets

The first thing to talk about is the “upper reinforcement brackets” that are part of the normal kit. The “lifted upper brackets” are something different. These are not mandatory to do this swap. What they do is reinforce the frame area to better help support the load of the vehicle. The shock hoop on the frame was not designed to carry the full weight of the vehicle (it was only designed for the shocks), so these brackets help reinforce this area. With that said, many guys have done this swap with just the lower brackets not using the upper bracket so it is certainly doable. The choice is up to you. The brackets will take up 3/8″-1/2″ of height in extreme situations.

Stud Top

I generally only recommend the stud top when you are height limited which generally only happens with extremely low setups. You can use the stud top with other setups if you want to put a longer travel shock in there, but most of the time it is not needed and the procomp shock adapter comes out a little easier and cheaper. You can generally get another inch of shock travel using the stud top vs the procomp adapter on the same height vehicle.

If you want to go as low as possible (~4-7″ drop)

You will need the lower brackets of course, with the upper brackets being optional (both of them together is what is called the “full normal kit”). You will also need the stud top bushings since this is quite a bit of drop.

If you want a moderate amount of drop (~0-3″ drop)

You will need the lower brackets of course, with the upper brackets being optional (both of them together is what is called the “full normal kit”). You may use the stud bushing for more travel if you are concerned about shock travel, but that is generally not needed and not an issue. The procomp adapter works perfectly fine in this range, but either style will work.

If you want slightly lifted (~0-3″ lift)

You will need the lower brackets of course, with the upper brackets being optional (both of them together is what is called the “full normal kit”). You may use the stud bushing for more travel if you are concerned about shock travel, but that is generally not needed and not an issue. The procomp adapter works perfectly fine in this range, but either style will work.

If you want more lift or have a lift kit installed that drops the differential and/or LCA (4-8″ lift)

You will need the “lifted brackets” for this range. They are the same lower brackets as the other kit but the upper brackets are different that include an integrated mount for the shock instead of using the procomp adapter or the stud top bushing. They do this to move the mounting location over to create some clearance to the UCA. These brackets are slightly more difficult to install so I dont recommend them on other height setups (even though they will work fine) that don’t require them.

Selecting Shocks and Springs

When you order, please add this measurement in the notes section and include some details about your truck such as year, model, intended use, and any heavy accessories you have installed. When you measure (see picture), make sure the truck is on the ground with weight on the wheels and try to get it as close to the height you want. If you want to go higher, use a floor jack under the frame to put it where you want it then measure. If you are lowered then measure as it sits and tell me how much lower you want to go than it currently is.

shockmeasure2

I don’t generically list springs and shocks since every setup will be a little bit different and I want to make sure you are happy with it. If you don’t want my help that is perfectly fine, but if you do want help selecting springs and shocks please include this measurement.

25 thoughts on “What Coilover Brackets Do I Need?

• Richard says:

My kits only work for the 1500 trucks and not any of the 1500HD or 2500+ trucks since their LCA and frame is different. However you can do the swap on these trucks by bolting the shock directly to the LCA, but I do not recommend this without reinforcing the mount, and I also do not recommend this you tow at all.

1. hunter nelson says:

can i slap the full lift bracket kit on my 95 single cab gmc z71? the end result im wanting is a 3” level from stock on the front but with the coil over strut for better ride quality

• Richard says:

Hi, unfortunately no, my brackets are only for 99-06 and 07+ trucks. I do not currently have anything except seat brackets for the 88-98 trucks.

• Allen Smith says:

I was wondering if you ever plan on building kits for the 88-98 gm trucks?
        Seems like it would be similar
        Glad somebody is finally doing this! Beautiful work!

• Richard says:

Hi Allen, thank you, but no I do not have plans to do the 88-98 trucks at this time as the LCA design on those is completely different. Thanks

• Richard says:

Hi, my standard brackets will work at that height, however if you plan to go any higher at any point I would recommend starting out with my Lifted Brackets. They also work fine for any other height so if you want them now for a 2″ lift that is also fine.

2. Bruce says:

Hello Richard I have 2006 Cadillac Escalade on 26inch rims. I have the back dialed in perfect with upper and lower trailing arms, panhard bar, relocation brackets, shock extenders, 4inch drop springs with firestone airbag insert, and street performance shocks. For the front 2 inch spindle, torsion key turned down and street performance shocks. I despise how my front rides and I’m ready to convert to coilover. Ironically my measurement is practically the same as yours in the photo. So with you your help what is the best setup for my vehicle. Thanks.

3. Bruce Jackson says:

4. Ryan Buck says:

Hey guys, I have a 2002 Chevy Tahoe 4×4. Suspension is all stock except the torsion lift keys and longer shocks. I have 35″ tires on it also. So what I want to do is pick it up a little more then what the torsion lift keys will do. It rides like shit as I’m sure you know, with the keys tightened up all the way. So my goal is to sit about like as 4″ lift. But with out that nasty lift kit drop down garbage hanging under the truck. With your brackets can I set it up to sit that high? Welding is not a problem for me I can do all of that stuff. Also to sit like that what kind of coilovers should I get for it? Do any of the stock truck takeoff work for it? Let me know. Proatv13@gmail.com thank you!! And killer idea to come up with a set up to put the torsion bars in the scrap bin where they belong!!

5. Tyler O'Connell says:

“Can” you make something for the 2003 4wd 2500hd Silverado
    Will be towing, never any super heavy loads, mostly cummins and pull trucks.
    I’m getting blitzkriegs mid Travel kit as well but that’s for shocks, I’m not 100% on coil overs but eventually will be turning the truck into a fun ine

6. Tim says:

By changing the t bar to coil over will I still maintain my lift in the front of the truck? 3 inch of lift is due to ford keys on Chevy t bars

• Richard says:

Hi Tim, yes you can keep your lift with the coilovers by selecting the proper shock and spring and adding the right amount of spring preload. Up to about 3″ of lift on a factory setup is possible with my lifted brackets. Send me an email if you need further help, thanks!

7. Daniel says:

Hi, kinda piggybacking on what tim said..
    I have a rough country 2in leveling kit. It works with torsion keys obviously, If I order the lifted coilover package can I have them set to a 3-4in lift?

• Richard says:

Hi Daniel, yes 3-4″ is possible, however I don’t recommend more than 3″ as the front end angles get rather extreme (ball joints, tie rods, CVs, etc.) just as they would with an extreme torsion bar crank. Thanks

8. Patryk Herrera says:

Hi, I have a 2006 Chevy Silverado 3500 dually and I was wondering if you do have something that would fit like the one you make GM Torsion Bar to Coilover Brackets for Lifted Trucks. And coil overs and do you have a full kit that will work for my truck or do I have to buy the brackets from you and buy my coils and etc myself.

9. Greg Spellman says:

Im looking to convert my torsion to coilovers with one of your lower bracket kits.I have an 05 Dodge Ram 1500 4wd and am looking to crank the torsions up abt 2” to level the front end. Should I do this through the factory torsion or could it be done with the new coilovers ?
    Thanks